Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Weird is Better than Boring!!



Soooooo :) I was thinking the other day and I realized that one reason I do not really relish the thought of being an adult is that adults are so...well...um...boring. There, I said it. But before you just label me as judgemental and immature, think about it. You're at the beach...what are the adults doing?? Sitting in their beach chairs (if they made it to the beach at all - some are still sitting in their beach houses). Sometimes they are reading in their beach chairs and sometimes they are just SITTING. Doing nothing. Staring into nothing. Sleeping occasionally. Now, don't get me wrong, when I am at the beach, I like to spend some of my time sitting and sleeping and reading and reflecting. BUT (and that is a big but) I also love to take walks, play ultimate frisbee, bump the volleyball around, play football, play cards, swim in the ocean, scream when I touch the slimy stuff at the bottom, jump the waves, ride on the boogie board, run from spot to spot trying to chase down the biggest waves, take the perfect jump pictures, and, of course, Hannah's and Maddie's and my favorite thing of all...walk on the squeaky sand and make seagull noises.

OK, now, you might say that that's just the beach. But, picture scene 2, the pool. Again, where are the adults? In their chairs just sitting and sitting. If they get hot enough, they might delicately venture into the water and sit there for a while. Now, think about kids..they do somersaults and flips and handstands and play sharks and minnows and chinese freeze tag and Star and Marco Polo and Categories and have jumping contests off the diving boards. Now, age aside, which category do you think I fit into? That's right - the kids, obviously. I like to play games at the pool not sit there like a zombie. Which is why recently, when I went swimming at my apartment complex, I immediately made friends with the kids in the pool. Normally, I don't have to worry because I have my siblings. But at my apartment, I don't, so I had to fix the situation right away. I instroduced myself to the kids in the pool, taught them how to play Star and played with them the rest of the time.

And you know, the list of boring adult behavior goes on and on. What do most adults do in their spare time? Watch TV and maybe read a book. Nothing ENERGETIC!!!! And when adults get together, what do they do?? Sit and talk. No games, no guitar hero, no FUN! And how often do you see adults riding bikes or playing sports?? Pretty much only if their kids beg them to. It's Sad. So, that is why I am never entering that boring adult stage of life. I may be an adult on the outside for situations like work and paying bills and important stuff like that. BUT - get me to the beach, the pool, to my free time, and my Kid Side can No Longer be Suppressed. Too bad if people think I'm weird. Like Hannah says, I might be weird, but you are BORING!! :P




3 comments:

Hannah said...

So true! Thanks for summing that all up. ;)

Pamela M M Berkeley said...

You know boring adults! :) My dad always was in ocean with us, and mom joined us for short time periods. And both parents would get in the pool with us too, though Mom usually stuck to the shallower end. And while they watch a lot of tv and read, Mom is an avid gardener (which I find boring, but is active) and Dad's a volunteer firefighter, which is about as unboring as can be. And my sister's father-in-law is a runner... there's lots more examples. You don't have to be a boring adult.

Actually, I remember when I was in high school getting frustrated because some people told me I wasn't mature because I can be silly. Then I was in the grocery store and my mother, who is a very mature respectable woman, jump on the back of her shopping cart and ride it down the aisles.

And I realized I was mature. I was also a lot like my mom, and would be silly all my life.

Which is a good thing!

(My parents love to the tell this story: one time they were driving my late grandmother somewhere, when they noticed all the cars passing them were smiling, waving, and laughing. One of those mickey mouse ear hats was in the back seat, and my grandmother, who was probably in her seventies then, had put it on her head and was making faces at the cars driving past! :) ) Adulthood doesn't have to be boring! And just cause you're not boring doesn't make you not an adult! Just embrace your silly and exciting side all your life!

busymomof10 said...

Well, now that that's settled, enjoy your second childhood!!! :)