Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Awareness

Sometimes in the frantic rush of life, the pressures of deadlines and events, lengthy to-do lists, and unexpected daily mini-crises, it is very difficult to really ENJOY my life. I just get so caught up and before I know it, the day, week, month, year is gone.

Recently I was reading in Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts. In the book, she talks about the importance of savoring each moment. A pastor she knew once was asked what his most profound regret was looking back at his life. He answered, "Being in a hurry. Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me. I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry. But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of all the rushing....Through all that haste I thought I was making up time. It turns out, I was throwing it away." Wow! That completely describes my life....I am always rushing from thing to thing, rarely being completely given to the thing in front of me...usually my mind is about 15 places all at once. I thought that was called multi-tasking! But maybe, it is keeping me from being aware of the blessings in this moment now. That is Ann Voskamp's solution to the problem of not enjoying each moment, of being caught up in the torrent of life ~ looking for the blessings in each minute, being aware. Consciously being aware of each moment, consciously seeking the beauty and blessings all around me.

Ann Voskcamp says, "Time is a relentless river. It rages on, a respector of no one. And this, this is the only way to slow time: When I fully enter into time's swift current, enter into the current moment with the weight of all my attention, I slow the torrent with the weight of me all here. I can slow the torrent by being all here. I only live the full life when I live fully in the moment. And when I'm always looking for the next glimpse of glory, I slow and enter. And time slows."

~ May I live in the moment, in THIS moment. May I be aware. ~

2 comments:

Pamela M M Berkeley said...

You're the second person to mention this book in a week. Maybe I should read it.. I pray you do become aware, Tiffany! We all need to..

busymomof10 said...

Great post! I have read it at least three times and thought about it. First of all, I'm glad you are finally reading the book I gave yoou! I need to get back to mine . . . for some reason, I put it down in the middle and did not pick it back up. It requires a lot of concentration to read, as every sentence is power-packed! Secondly, I love the quote from Ann's pastor! And thirdly, this is excellent advice! Especially for YOU, my dear!!! I do see your tendency to rush through life at break-neck speed. Slow down, Savor, Enjoy, Take time too smell the roses!! :)

Awesome post!